Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Pursuit and Deriding of Excellence...3/26/2006

A week ago I was in a sports bar watching the beginning rounds of the NCAA tournament. Normally I'm not a college hoops fan, but like most men in the US I follow the brackets at tourney time.Anyhow, I overheard a conversation between two men stating how much they hated Duke University and how they couldn't wait until someone took them out. I've heard this lament before in other sports--"I hate the Yankees""Bust up the Patriots dynasty"and similar quotes can be heard throughout whatever season is being played.What gets me though, is the fact that most of these same people would agree with the thought of celebrating excellence--they would want to be a part of something truly excellent or well executed.I don't understand how a nation steeped in the philosophy of "do your best" frowns when someone actually excels.It's true even in school. "Man don't mess up the grade curve" smart students are told. "You'll make us all look bad."I guess the point of this rant is that we need to be people who do what we say we believe. Anything less is hypocrisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment